Prior to the Deportation of the Acadians from their lands, the most populated of this area was T?bok (Chebogue Point). It has been founded in the 1740's by eight Acadian families from Port-Royal. The Acadians owned acres of land and as their children married, it became necessary to found new settlements - this was one of them. Actually, T?bok was the only early colony along this coast with a marshland typography similar to what was now the Acadian Heartland. Of course, following the Deportation, these fertile lands were scoffed up by the Planters sent from the New England colonies to resettle the land for Britain.
History tells us that this area of Nova Scotia/Acadia was the last of the mainland to be deported. A year after the Deportation had begun in Grand-Pr?, Colonel Prebble attacked this settlement in 1756. Seventy-two men, women and children were deported to Boston. This would be the first of two attacks on this area. The first attack was in Le Passage (Barrington Passage). Pubnico was spared any attacks until September 1758, two years after the onset of the Deportation, when Major Roger Morris, carrying orders from Colonel Monckton, destroyed Pubnico. Though the inhabitants first escaped before the troops arrived, they were later captured in June 1759 and imprisoned in Halifax. Later, they were shipped from here to Cherbourg, France in November, 1760. It is nonetheless interesting to note that though deported so much later than the rest of the Acadians, they were the first to return.
Following about ten years in exile, 9 families returned to Pubnico in 1766. Most of the families living here today are descendants of these families whose names were d'Entremont, Amirault, Belliveau, Mius and Duon (now spelled d'Eon). By 1767 the Government of Nova Scotia had granted 1,012 hectares (2,500 acres) to about 20 families on either side of the harbor. There were a few Irish families: Larkin, Murphy and Goodwin. Most of the d'Entremonts and the Duons settled on the west side of the harbour and the Amiraults and the Belliveaus on the east side. The English-speaking settlers established themselves mainly at the head of the harbor. Gradually more land became available for returning Acadians and for other settlers.
By the early 1780's the Acadians settling in this area of Nova Scotia had ended. The coastal communities of Sainte-Anne-du-Ruisseau, Wedgeport and Tusket were now all well-established.
Source: The Acadians of Nova Scotia Past and Present by Sally Ross and Alphonse Deveau